Vinot-Deguingand Twin-Cylinder (5½ HP / 10CV) History

Touring car · 1901–1908

Vinot-Deguingand Twin-Cylinder (5½ HP / 10CV)
Sample hero image — replace with real model photography.

History

Lucien-Marie Vinot-Préfontaine and Albert Deguingand turned from bicycle manufacture to motor cars in 1901, building a vertical-twin of approximately 1,500 cc with a combined belt-and-chain transmission at their Puteaux factory beside the Seine. Early cars were exported to Britain under the name 'La Silencieuses', a reference to their relatively quiet running.

By 1903 the design had been rationalized: a conventional side-chain final drive replaced the earlier belt arrangement and the twin-cylinder was marketed as the '10CV'. The model was joined the same year by the four-cylinder 'H14CV' (3,300 cc) and 'F18CV', broadening the range to cater to buyers who wanted more power. The twin-cylinder body styles ranged from open tonneaus to enclosed tourers consistent with Edwardian coachbuilding practice.

The twin-cylinder continued in the catalogue alongside more powerful four-cylinder offerings through the mid-Edwardian years, serving as the entry-level Vinot-Deguingand until it was replaced by later designs around 1908 as the company's product range consolidated around four- and six-cylinder cars.

Body styles

Related models