Daimler DB18 / Consort History
History
Launched in 1939 as the 'Daimler Two-and-a-Half Litre' and known by its DB18 chassis code, this 2,522 cc overhead-valve six-cylinder car was Daimler's mainstream saloon either side of the Second World War. In 1939 Winston Churchill commissioned a drophead coupe on a DB18 chassis, which he used campaigning in the later 1940s.
For 1949 the design was modernised and renamed the Daimler Consort, gaining hydraulic front brakes, a curved radiator grille in place of the earlier flat one, and (from mid-1950) a hypoid-bevel rear axle. The Consort ran until 1953, when it was replaced by the smaller Conquest.
Body styles
- Saloon
- Drophead coupe
Related models