Bond Minicar History

Microcar · 1949–1966

Bond Minicar
Sample hero image — replace with real model photography.

History

The Bond Minicar began production in January 1949 at Sharp's Commercials Ltd in Preston, Lancashire, based on a prototype by engineer Lawrence 'Lawrie' Bond. The Mark A used a 122 cc single-cylinder Villiers two-stroke engine — upgraded within the first year to 197 cc — with aluminium bodywork, no doors, and a single driven front wheel that also steered; it had no reverse gear (the car was light enough to manhandle). Some 1,973 Mark A units were built before the Mark B arrived in 1951.

Seven distinct Marks followed over the next 15 years, each progressively more refined. The Mark C (1952–1956, 6,399 built) added a longer, more streamlined body; the Mark E (1956–1958) introduced full-height doors and a semi-monocoque structure; and the Mark F (1958–1963, 6,493 built) saw the engine grow to 247 cc. The final Mark G (1961–1966, 3,253 built) offered single- or twin-cylinder Villiers power in saloon, convertible, estate, and van forms — the broadest body range the Minicar ever offered.

The Minicar's appeal rested on its rock-bottom running costs and the tax advantage that, until 1962, three-wheelers carried over conventional cars. When the UK government equalised purchase tax between three- and four-wheelers that year, the Minicar's financial rationale evaporated and sales fell sharply. Production ceased with the Mark G in December 1966, ending a line of roughly 24,500 cars built in total.

Generations

Body styles

Related models