Auto Union Grand Prix Cars (Types A–D) History
History
In 1933 Auto Union purchased a Grand Prix car design by Dr. Ferdinand Porsche — a revolutionary concept placing the supercharged engine behind the driver and ahead of the rear axle, a mid-engine layout that was virtually unknown in front-line racing at the time. The cars were developed and built at Auto Union's Horch works in Zwickau under the 750-kg formula.
Types A, B, and C (1934–1937) used a supercharged V16 engine that grew from 4,360 cc and 295 bhp in the Type A to a full 6 litres and 520 bhp in the Type C. The extreme power-to-weight ratio meant wheelspin could be provoked at speeds exceeding 100 mph — the cars demanded drivers of exceptional talent. Bernd Rosemeyer mastered the handling and won six Grands Prix in 1936, claiming the European Championship — Auto Union's only drivers' title — and also the European Mountain Championship that year.
For 1938 new regulations capped supercharged engines at 3 litres; the Type D was redesigned around a supercharged 3-litre V12 producing approximately 550 bhp. Tazio Nuvolari drove the Type D to memorable victories. The programme ended with the outbreak of World War II in 1939. The Silver Arrows' mid-engine layout would directly inspire post-war Formula 1 design decades later.
Body styles
- Open-wheel single-seater
Notable special editions & performance variants
-
Type C
The peak of the V16 programme — 520 bhp from 6 litres; Bernd Rosemeyer's 1936 European Championship-winning car.
-
Type D
Redesigned for the 3-litre supercharged formula with a V12; driven to victory by Tazio Nuvolari.
Related models